Good attendance at school is key to success. Missing school for any reason can cause your child to fall behind in their learning and/or cause them to struggle with friendships.
At Harlington Lower School we consider 96% and above to be good attendance.
Our school gates open at 8:45am and the school day starts promptly at 9:00am. Being in school on time ensures that your child does not miss any learning.
Leave of Absence
Guidance from Central Bedfordshire Council (August 2013) regarding family holidays during term time and the use of Fixed Penalty Notices (September 2014) make it clear that there is no right of entitlement to term-time leave and any requests for such leave will not, as a rule, be granted.
It is only in very ‘exceptional circumstances’ that leave will be granted. Any decision as to what constitutes ‘exceptional circumstances’ is down to the discretion of the Headteacher.
The following instances are offered as examples of what might reasonably be considered to constitute ‘exceptional circumstances’:
- A parent or other close relative of the child has a serious, life-threatening or terminal medical condition and it is believed that the holiday requested may be the last opportunity for the family to experience such an event.
- A parent is in the armed forces and is shortly due to be posted overseas to a known danger-spot.
- The family is in an extreme state of crisis and it is considered that the holiday in question may help the family to avert or better deal with this crisis.
Fixed Penalty Notices
A Penalty Notice (£60 per parent/carer per child) may be issued when:
- A pupil is taken out of school during term-time for a holiday which has not been authorised by the school.
- A truancy patrol carried out by a School Attendance Officer has found a pupil absent from school and the absence has not been authorised by the school.
- A child’s school attendance has been poor and his/her school believe that the issuing of a Penalty Notice may lead to an improvement in the child’s attendance (for example, when a child is persistently late for school and his/her parents/carers fail to address the situation).
Further information on the issuing of Fixed Penalty Notices can be viewed via Central Bedfordshire website at:
Please support us by avoiding holidays during term-time.
To request a Leave of Absence, please download and complete the form below and then email it to the school office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read the notes above and ensure forms are returned to the school at least 6 weeks before the date when you want the period of absence to start (a separate application must be completed for each child).